Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Great Wolf Lodge

Like I said, May was eventful. We took our first ever family vacation with all 4 of us! Yep, we loaded up the minivan (sorry Kelly, the WAGON that just happens to have sliding back doors and three rows seating) and headed south to the great vacation destination of Grand Mound, WA. Not just any Mound, but Grand Mound!
And boy was it grand. Seriously! We had a grand time in Grand Mound. At the Great Wolf Lodge.

The accomodations were great. We got a room with a King bed, and it also had a hide-a-bed, and the staff brought up a portable crib/playpen for Catie. Which of course all added up to this...

But the main thing about the lodge is the waterpark! Jack thought it was pretty fun at first, but didn't like getting his face wet. So we stayed mostly in this area at first.

Well, actually we spent the VERY first part of the first day in the wave pool, as the kiddie area was closed for an emergency cleaning...




But once it was safe to go back in the water, Jack played in the kids area for a while, until he really got used to the idea of getting and staying wet. Then we talked him into going down the slide! At first he wanted us to be right there, one at the top and one at the bottom. But by the 2nd day, he was running back up to the top after each slide faster than I could keep up with. I had to settle for about one ride down for every three he made. And I must have ridden it a good 40 times.



At the top of the tower that houses these two slides is a huge bucket on a pivot, and water is continually pumped up to the bucket. When it is getting close to full, a little water drains off and spins a wheel which rings a big cowbell. And then it tips, and a wall of water splashes down! So to get to the slides, you have to risk the big splash. After getting hit by that 4 or 5 times, Jack was officially no longer afraid of getting his face wet.


At night (and in the morning, I guess) they had story time in the main lobby. The animals moved and talked. I was late getting to the story time (I needed a nap after trying to keep up with Jack) so didn't hear what the story was about, and I think Jack dozed off during it too. But it was surely a good story.


They also had a really cool fireplace. And a fun game played all over the hotel with a magic wand! Jack had fun using a magic wand and having magic really happen! You should ask him about it sometime.


They also have an arcade, a spa, a kids spa, restaurants, coffee bars - pretty much all you need. Check them out at http://www.greatwolflodge.com/Locations/Grandmound/utility/factsheet.aspx

No comments: